Every new year is full of excitements and new hopes. We all wish for the best in the coming year and same was wished when we landed in the year 2021. The bad experiences of Corona virus in 2020 leading to so many deaths across the globe, we all prayed and hoped that 2021 should be different. Now we are landing in 2022, what we hoped and what happened in 2021 is different because of the deadliest 2nd wave of Corona virus leading to loss of lives of millions across the globe.
If we compare 2020 and 2021, both seems identical to many aspects, particularly to the COVID-19 pandemic. Although, many restrictions were relaxed including nation-wide lockdown, as compared to 2020. When things were coming to normal, sudden surge in Corona cases in the month of March and April 2021, reaching peak in May which witnessed more than 400,000 cases per day in India. Many lost their lives due to the “deadliest virus”. Fear factor, scary moments were common in those months till the cases started to fall. Those who survive are lucky and those who didn’t contract with the virus are also lucky. The importance of life was re-understood and re-written.
As 2021 is witnessing its end, Omicron, the new variant of Corona virus had knocked the door in India and other parts of world. Slowly, the number of cases is increasing. The casualties due to Omicron variant is yet to be established but it is a matter of concern as of now.
Let us look at some of the important events in 2021:
- COVID-19 cases crossed 100 million worldwide on 26th January 2021.
- The Great Resignation witnessed millions of employees resigning from their jobs.
- United States calling its troops back from Afghanistan after 20 years. This resulted in Taliban returning to power in Afghanistan.
- In December 2021, Russia becomes the fifth nation to surpass 10 million Covid-19 cases after USA, India, Brazil and The UK
- In December 2021, USA becomes the first country to surpass 50 million COVID-19 cases.
- Total deaths due to COVID-19 crossed 5 million in November 2021.
- Tokyo Olympics 2020 was successfully held between 23rd July to 8th August 2021.
- India made its highest medal tally in an Olympics with 7 medals. Neeraj Chopra winning Gold medal in Javelin throw.
- Air India was acquired by Tata Group in October 2021. In this historical deal, Government of India sold its 100% stake to Tata group.
- Record 100 Crores (1 Billion) vaccination was completed in India in October 2021.
- India’s first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen Bipin Rawat passed away along with 12 others in a chopper crash in December 2021.
- Inauguration of Kashi Vishwanath Corridor (Phase I) in Varanasi in December 2021.
- Legendary actor Dilip Kumar died at the age of 98 in July 2021.
- Sunderlal Bahuguna, Indian Environmentalist, well known for Chipko Movement passed away in May 2021.
- Three farm bills were repealed by the Govt of India in Winter session of parliament.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award renamed as Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award.
Mainly, 2021 will be remembered for the deadliest COVID-19 virus and the casualties it caused. The year was on the path of 2020. With some changes in the restrictions and offices being opened, travelling allowed, 2021 saw more relaxations in restrictions as compared to 2020.
As 2021 is coming to end, let us hope the coming year should be different from 2020 and 2021. Let us pray that 2022 should end on different note.
As the risk of third wave in India is not yet over, stay safe, take enough precautions and stay happy. Stay healthy…