Most of us hope that a new year will bring some change in life with new hopes and aspirations. Happiness and enjoyment should flourish in life without any obstacles. Although, hassle-free life can be an ideal situation which can be imagined. Different objectives and motives keep coming along with setting new goals. As the time goes on, there are only memories left. Be it good or bad, every year has some important events which we would like to remember or forget. There are some good moments which one likes to cherish forever and there are some memories which one would like to eradicate from their mind. This is what life is all about.
Every year is a new journey in everyone’s life, and it is very rare that there can be a year which everyone would like to forget. When 2020 started, no one have ever though that this year would become so challenging and disastrous. The rise of Corona in starting months of 2020 made everything to halt. The harsh memories of Corona pandemic, no ray of hope, deaths on large scale, lock down, disruptions etc. are some of the things which took place in 2020 which is very difficult to erase from the mind. It is one of the rare years in recent times which entire world would like to forget.
No doubt, 2020 will be remembered for COVID-19 pandemic and its consequences. In a positive hope for the coming 2021, let’s briefly recall 2020.
Corona Virus – Cases and deaths
At the start of 2020, the world was attacked by Corona virus resulting in lock down and isolation. International and domestic flights were shut down. Entire world experienced a surge in number of cases drastically. As of now, the number of cases of Corona virus globally stands at 81,199,285 and it unknown how far it will go. USA, India, Brazil, Russia and France are the top 5 countries which reported the greatest number of cases. USA and India had already crossed 10 million cases and USA is inching towards 20 million. The number of deaths stands globally at 1,773,333. More than 1.7 million people lost their life due to this pandemic. USA, Brazil, India, Mexico and UK are top five nations having greatest number of deaths. Looking at the above figures, it cannot be a personification to call “2020: A survival year”.
India was not untouched with this pandemic. The number of cases in India had crossed 10 million mark and it stands at 10,208,725 and number of deaths stands at 147,940. One of the positive sides is that the recovery rate in India is over 90% and number of active cases are reducing on daily basis. Also, the number of new cases and deaths are going down but needless to mention, the risk of Corona still persist.
Famous personality passed away
Many notable personalities said “Good bye” from their life in 2020 due to Corona virus like Pranab Mukherjee, S P Balasubramanyam, Chetan Chauhan, Rahat Indori etc.
Also, Nishikant Kamat, Sushant Singh Rajput, Saroj Khan, Rishi Kapoor, Irrfan Khan, Jagdeep, Pandit Jasraj etc passed away this year. May their soul rest in peace.
Due to imposition of lock down and restrictions in travel, the economy suffered a serious setback. Almost every industry suffered loss due to this pandemic situation. The country saw many daily wages workers and labourers returning their native place as there was no source of income for them. They walked for 1000/1500/2000 kms from various locations to reach their native place. Many committed suicides as earnings was stopped and no available resource to feed their stomach. As there were no business, so no revenue which resulted in termination and in loss of job as well.
Stock market also collapsed drastically in March this year due to imposition of lock down. Many Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) sold their shares resulting in massive outflow of money and ultimately collapsing of Indian stock market. This was recovered in unlocking phase and the market saw a new heights wherein NIFTY crossing 13,700 mark.
The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) figures drastically contracting down to 23.9% in first quarter for the Financial Year 2020-21 due to COVID 19 situation. The second quarter showed a good recovery wherein the country’s GDP was contracted to 7.3 % as compared to 23.9% in first quarter. Negative GDP growth for consecutive two quarters indicates recession. Countries like USA and Japan declared official recession due to consecutive negative GDP growth because of COVID-19.
Work From Home (WFH)
Popularly known as WFH, Work From Home has become a new normal, at least for service sector. Many companies who used to reject plea for work from home had now adopted this mechanism and it is expected to be continued in future as well. Some companies are looking forward to adopting permanent WFH depending on the work profile and requirement.
Other events apart from Corona
Well, 2020 will be mainly remembered for Corona virus and its impact, some of the events apart from Corona and its consequences which needs mentions includes:
- Arvind Kejriwal re-elected as Chief Minister of Delhi in February 2020.
- Nitish Kumar was re-elected as Chief Minister of Bihar as Bihar witnessed Assembly election in COVID era and in fact it was the first state where Assembly election was held during COVID era.
- India-China border issue reached its peak in mid of this year wherein India and China both suffered casualties in Galwan valley. The Line of Actual Control (LAC) issue is not yet resolved and talks is still going on between both the nation.
- Jammu & Kashmir witnessed implementation of third level of government for the first time wherein District Development Committee (DDC) elections were held. After abolition of Article 370 last year and bifurcation of state of Jammu & Kashmir into Union Territory of Ladakh and Jammu & Kashmir, Jammu & Kashmir witnessed first election.
- Bhumi Pujan for the construction of Ram Mandir (temple) in the city of Ayodhya. This was post the Supreme Court verdict.
- Political crisis in state of Madhya Pradesh saw Kamal Nath resigning from the post of Chief Minister and Shiv Raj Singh Chouhan took oath as Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, in March 2020.
- Amphan cyclone hit the coastal areas of eastern India in the month of May and Nisarga cyclone hitting the western India in June.
- National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 brought in and approved by Union Cabinet.
- On August 7, Air India Express Flight 1344Crashed after overrunning the Runway at Calicut International Airport, Kerala. At least 19 people killed, including two pilots and 17 Passengers.
As 2020 is coming to end in few days, we all were hoping that the coming year may give some relaxation form what we experienced in 2020. But, the recent discovery of new strain of Corona in UK had again made the entire world in shock. No doubt, this was a startling news which 2020 gave before passing by.
Let’s pray from the almighty that the coming year should bring life as usual. As the risk the current pandemic is not yet over, let’s take enough precaution and avoid unnecessary adventure. Stay safe, stay healthy…
– Ashish Kumar